We’ve been talking each Saturday about simplifying areas of our lives, but what about simplifying our lives in general? There are so many things we do that add stress to our lives, and we don’t even know it.
I publish a blog each week called “Organized and Simplified,” but sometimes my life is anything BUT simplified. I am the world’s worst for trying to do too much, and it’s something I need to work on.
In order to simplify my life, I am doing the following things. Please feel free to comment below and add any more tips- I’d love to hear from you!!
- Know your priorities, and choose them wisely.
I am guilty of often trying to do too much in one day. I often try to do so much, that quantity takes over quality, and I end up doing a lot of things, but not necessarily doing them WELL. If you’re like me, I get stressed out by a lengthy to-do list. Just because you have a lot to do, doesn’t mean you need to do it all at once, or even in the same day. Give yourself permission not to be perfect. It’s OK- no one else is, either.
2. Read more, watch TV less
I am trying to make an effort to read more than I have been. I love reading, but I usually have no time for it, until summer or spring break. I have been taking at least 15 minutes a night to read something, and a few minutes during lunch to read my daily devotional.
3. Less phones!
Hooo boy, is this an area that I need to work on!! My family has been making a concentrated effort to put down the cell phones and just be present. Turn off your social media notifications, and allow yourself only a little cell phone time each day. Being constantly tied to your phone stresses you out and makes it difficult to concentrate on other things.
4. Declutter your spaces by getting rid of what you don’t need.
A cluttered space is stressful and makes it hard to relax. A light, airy, decluttered space is a space where you can get comfortable and relax.
5. Focus on the present, not the future
Focus on what you’re doing right now, and what you need right now. Don’t worry too much about the future, as you can’t do anything to change the future. Worry about the future when it gets here. For now, enjoy where you are.
6. Don’t overcommit- you can say no, and you should say no. No one can do everything- it is perfectly OK to turn down tasks if you feel overwhelmed.
7. Don’t multitask- singletask when ever you can, to sharpen focus and effectiveness. Trying to focus on too much at once is like a computer browser with too many open tabs. Your brain runs more slowly and less effectively when you are trying to do too much at once. Focus singularly and you can focus more easily.
I hope you have enjoyed these tips for simplifying your life. Please comment below to share any additional tips you might have.
Have a great weekend!